Are you struggling to find someone that perfect gift? It can be difficult to find a present that is thoughtful, not too expensive, and not something they already have. Christmas is a special time of year where friends and family gather together to share stories, fellowship and gifts. Stress over gift-giving shouldn’t detract from the season.
To help, we’ve compiled some gift ideas that won’t cost too much and are more than just “stuff” that might not be used or appreciated.
Gift of a Class
An experience can be more valuable than a physical object. Your gift recipient will have memories and new skills rather than an item that ends up collecting dust on the shelf. Give the opportunity for someone to try something new and gain a skill.
- Skating lessons – a fun way to be active and enjoy the winter season.
- Guitar lessons – for the person who loves music or plays other instruments. Maybe they’re looking for a new hobby or haven’t played for a while.
- Cooking lessons – a great gift for the person who loves to try new things, is always in the kitchen, or even for the student who is heading off to university soon.
Gift of Time Together
Life is busy and we often don’t get the time to really enjoy being together. Give the gift of time this holiday season and make some new memories.
- Nature trip – mark a day in your calendar to spend some time enjoying the beauty of nature together.
- Shared meal – choose a favourite restaurant, make a special dinner at home, or pack a basket for a picnic!
- Movie night – see the latest movie in theatres with the big screen and surround sound, or cozy up on the couch for a movie night at home. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Tickets – get tickets to a favourite sports game, concert, theatre show, or even a conference. Break Forth One is a great conference event that you can give this holiday season, with amazing speakers and workshops to connect and learn with other Christ-followers
- Recipe Book – share some of the family’s favourite recipes in a cookbook. Perfect for the avid cook, those starting a new home, or a new family to continue the traditions.
- Food – Savoury or sweet, this gift is great for everyone to enjoy. Find a jar or pretty box and fill it with some of your favourite cookies. Cook your “world famous” dish, or even prepare a jar of hot chocolate or cookie mix to let them enjoy making the treat.
- Charitable donation – spread the holiday spirit even further. Making a donation to a charitable organization in someone else’s name is a great way to give the gift of giving this holiday season.
There are so many ways to enjoy the Christmas season, and many ways to give the gift of giving without adding mountains of things to our homes! Enjoy the time with family and friends, learn some new skills, or start a new tradition! And, from Power to Change, we hope you have a blessed and very merry Christmas!