Power to Change – Students (P2C-S) is committed to helping students take their next steps towards Jesus, in part by fostering environments that help people explore the connection between their studies and their spirituality.
NEXT Steps Awards supports a healthy transition to post-secondary education by:
- providing funds
- connecting students to faith communities on campus
There are 100+ awards available, totalling up to $50,000. These awards are available to applicants planning on attending a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Canada.
Available awards are:
Specific awards will also be included in the above awards:
- Regional awards for students from different parts of Canada
- Focused awards for students enrolling in programs related to:
- Sciences and Engineering
- Arts Programs
- Healthcare Programs
- Specialized Undergrad or Technical Programs
- “New beginnings” awards for current students transitioning to a new institution or program
- Youth for Christ or Youth Unlimited involvement
The award application is also available in French.
Click here to see the 2023 P2C-Students NEXT Steps Awards recipient list.
These awards are available to:
- Residents of Canada (living in Canada at the time of application)
- Applicants who are enrolling into their first year of a post-secondary institution in Canada in the fall of 2024
- International students who have a Canadian address at the time of application. You are welcomed and encouraged to apply!
- Students already enrolled in a post-secondary institution but beginning afresh in a new institution or degree
- Students applying to CÉGEP: eligible for an award up to $500
Children of Power to Change employees are ineligible. Sorry!
To apply, please complete the following actions:
- Complete the 2024 online application, which includes:
- Six short-answer questions (preview here)
- Reference questionnaire sent to a peer, and spiritual leader or mentor
- Peer and leader references must be submitted for an application to be considered complete
- Subscribe to News for notifications
The average time for completion is 30 minutes. You will be able to complete the application in multiple sessions.
Applications will be assessed in light of an applicant’s willingness to engage in:
- Leadership and initiative
- Exploration of the Christian faith and its connection to future studies
References will be used to support the applicant’s evaluation.
- Applications open: January 3, 2024 Apply now!
- 1st Application Deadline: May 15, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. EST
- References due: May 22, 2024
- Awarded: June 5, 2024
- 2nd Application Deadline: August 7, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. EST
- References due: Aug 14, 2024
- Awarded: Aug 21, 2024
- Note: applicants not selected for an award following the 1st application deadline are automatically enrolled towards the 2nd application deadline. However, no applicant can receive more than one award.
- Funds will be issued in October 2024, pending Proof of Enrolment
- Awards can be deferred for one school year in special circumstances.
Stay up to date on our NEXT Steps Awards and other opportunities to support your journey at college or university.
Our updates will include:
- Application window opening (receiving applications)
- Application deadlines
- Announcements of recipients
- Other helpful news or opportunities related to paying for your education (e.g. awards, bursaries, scholarships, etc.)
- Power to Change (the parent organization of Power to Change – Students) was established in 1967
- Power to Change – Students assists students from coast to coast in their journey towards Jesus
Do I have to be a Christian to win this award?
P2C-S is committed to helping people take their next step towards Jesus, but it is not necessary for applicants to self-identify as a Christian to apply in order to win one of these awards. However, on the application, you will be asked questions about how you are seeking to explore faith through your studies, and preference will be given to those who show a willingness to explore the Christian faith.
What if I don’t know which school I’ll be attending?
If you haven’t yet confirmed your plans, simply indicate the school you hope to attend.
Do I have to submit my grades to be eligible for this award?
No, grades are not part of the eligibility for this award.
What if I don’t have a spiritual leader reference?
If you do not know a leader in a faith community, please leave us a note about your situation in your application. Preference will be given to applicants with two completed references.
Do I have to join a P2C-S community if I win an award?
No, though we do hope that all applicants will continue to take their next steps towards Jesus in some form of Christian community. Current or future involvement with P2C-S specifically has nothing to do with the eligibility or the selection of award winners.
What if I choose to defer my start date to January or September 2025?
P2C-Students will prioritize applicants enrolling for September 2024, but will not be limited by that if there are situations of deferral.
Can I apply if I am going into the trades or taking a diploma program?
Absolutely! We know there is a wide range of educational options after high school.
Can I apply if I will be a part-time student?
Yes. We recognize that there are circumstances that require a student to engage in part-time studies. In most cases, preference will be given to full-time students.
Why is P2C-S offering these awards?
P2C-S is committed to helping students take their next steps towards Jesus. As students transition to post-secondary, P2C-S wants to encourage them in their studies and foster an environment that helps people explore faith through their academic pursuits. These awards are intended to be a part of that encouragement: the program offers practical help both by making funds available, and by creating connections to local faith communities.
Who funds these awards?
A variety of individuals and foundations are eager to support the work of Power to Change and to support students across Canada in their education and spiritual journeys during their time at college and university.
One such foundation is in memory of Renee Dueck, who had a passion to mobilize people into mission to see truth proclaimed through the arts.
If you would like to support this work, please contact email@example.com
Take next steps today to connect with new Christian communities.
Everyone can make a connection—let us help!
- Find your campus and follow them on Instagram and Facebook.
- Reach out to a leader at your chosen campus.
- Even if your destination is uncertain, fill out a brief form for assistance.
- We’re here to support you on your journey!
Who else can benefit from knowing about these awards? Share this page with someone who may benefit.
Our official announcements, including award recipients, can be read in our News Section.
P2CS NEXT Steps Awards is a collaboration with YWC and YFC.