P2C is pleased to announce that the P2C-S NEXT Steps Awards are available across Canada in 2023.
Power to Change – Students (P2C-S) is committed to helping students take their next steps towards Jesus, in part by fostering environments that help people explore the connection between their studies and their spirituality. These awards are designed to encourage a healthy transition to post-secondary, both by offering funds and by facilitating connections to faith communities on campus.
There are 100+ awards available, totalling up to $50,000. The largest award available is $5,000, which is open to any applicant going to a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Canada. There is a $3,000 and $2,000 award. In addition, there are 101 other awards, between $200 and $1,000 in value. To apply in French, click here. The award application will also be available in French.
Applications are now open.
These awards are available to residents of Canada who will be enrolling in a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Canada. A resident of Canada for the purposes of this award is someone living in Canada during the time of application. The majority of the awards apply to applicants who are planning to enter into their first year of an undergraduate program at a post-secondary institution in Canada in September 2023 and study full time through April 2024. For students who are already enrolled in a post-secondary institution, a total of $3,000 of awards is available. Only complete applications will be considered. Children of employees at Power to Change (the parent organization of Power to Change – Students) are ineligible.
Students applying to CEGÉP are only eligible to be potentially awarded a $500 award.
How to Apply
To apply, please follow the application instructions below. The application itself consists of five short-answer questions as well as your contact information. You will also use a form to have a brief reference questionnaire sent to a peer and spiritual leader or mentor of your choosing. The form can be saved until you are ready to submit it. In general, an application takes 30 minutes to complete.
Applications are now open.
Applications will be evaluated in two categories: the applicant’s willingness to engage (1) in leadership and initiative and (2) in an exploration of the Christian faith, and how it might relate to their future studies. References will be used to substantiate the applicants.
Timeline & Deferrals
Applications open on Wednesday, November 2, 2022. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on May 17, 2023. All references must be completed by May 24, 2023 for an application to be considered for an award. P2C-S will be contacting all applicants to confirm enrolment plans at the end of May 2023. Award recipients will be announced by June 6, 2023. Proof of enrolment for first semester will be requested. Funds will be distributed by cheque, mailed out to award recipients in the fall of 2023.
This award can be deferred for one school year in special or extenuating circumstances.
Get Reminders and News
Stay up to date on our NEXT Steps Awards and other opportunities to support the journey at college or university.
Our updates will include:
- Application window opening (receiving applications)
- Deadlines for applying
- Announcements of recipients
- Other helpful news or opportunities related to paying for your education (ie. awards, bursaries, scholarships, etc)
Learn More about P2C-S
Power to Change (the parent organization of Power to Change – Students) was founded in 1967; Power to Change – Students is an organization helping students take their next steps towards Jesus. We operate from coast to coast in Canada—you can learn more about P2C-S or find different ways to get connected with P2C-S.
- Do I have to be a Christian to win this award?
- P2C-S is committed to helping people take their next step towards Jesus, but it is not necessary for applicants to self-identify as a Christian to apply in order to win one of these awards. However, on the application, you will be asked questions about how you are seeking to explore faith through your studies, and preference will be given to those who show a willingness to explore the Christian faith.
- What if I don’t know which school I’ll be attending?
- If you haven’t yet confirmed your plans, simply indicate the school you hope to attend.
- Do I have to submit my grades to be eligible for this award?
- No, grades are not part of the eligibility for this award.
- What if I don’t have a spiritual leader reference?
- If you do not know a leader in a faith community, please leave us a note about your situation in your application. Preference will be given to applicants with two completed references.
- Do I have to join a P2C-S community if I win an award?
- No, though we do hope that all applicants will continue to take their next steps towards Jesus in some form of Christian community. Current or future involvement with P2C-S specifically has nothing to do with the eligibility or the selection of award winners.
- What if I choose to defer my start date to January 2024 or Fall 2024?
- P2C-Students will prioritize applicants enrolling for September 2023, but will not be limited by that if there are situations of deferral.
- Why is P2C-S offering these awards?
- P2C-S is committed to helping students take their next steps towards Jesus. As students transition to post-secondary, P2C-S wants to encourage them in their studies and foster an environment that helps people explore faith through their academic pursuits. These awards are intended to be a part of that encouragement: the program offers practical help both by making funds available, and by creating connections to local faith communities.
- Who funds these awards?
- A variety of individuals and foundations are eager to support the work of Power to Change and to support students across Canada in their education and spiritual journeys during their time at college and university.
- One such foundation is in memory of Renee Dueck, who had a passion to mobilize people into mission to see truth proclaimed through the arts.
- If you would like to support this work, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Connection Opportunities
Curious about connecting with Christian community in your postsecondary studies?
You can find your campus and then start following them on Instagram and Facebook, and even reach out to a leader there. Even if you are not yet confirmed where you are headed, you fill out the brief form to guide us in helping you.
We are on the journey with you!
Who else can benefit from knowing about these awards? Share this page with someone who may benefit.
Here are some graphic resources you can use.
NEXT Steps Awards News
Our official announcements can be read in our News Section. Topics include the 2022 NEXT Steps Awards recipients, and our recent name change.
P2CS NEXT Steps Awards is a collaboration with YWC and YfC.