Our phones are always with us, and it’s easy to forget that we need to be thinking about how we use them in light of the gospel and our faith. This conversation is meant to help talk through your phone use and how it can glorify God, if there are changes that need to be made, and just to give you a chance to think intentionally about your relationship with your phone.
- What do you think healthy phone use looks like?
- How healthy do you think your phone habits are?
- What rules or practices do you have around your phone usage right now?
- Are there problems or concerns you’re already aware of in this area?
““All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.” 1 Corinthians 10:23-24
With all this in mind, let’s talk about how social media and your phone impact your time, your thoughts, your voice, your mission, and your faith.
“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Ephesians 5:15-17
- How much time per day do you think you should be spending on your phone?
- How much time per day do you actually spend on your phone?
- What apps or sites do you spend the most time on?
- When during the day are you most likely to mindlessly scroll?
- If needed, use Screen Time or other built-in apps to check for these questions.
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:8-9
- How do you decide which people to follow? Unfollow?
- Is your feed and the content you consume edifying? Neutral? Inducing envy? Tempting you to sin?
- What types of content do you spend the most time on? What priorities does that content reflect?
- How do you feel when you’re scrolling? After you’ve scrolled?
- Are there particular emotions or situations that cause you to turn to your phone for comfort, escape, distraction, etc.?
“Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.” Colossians 4:5-6
- How do you decide what to post or share on social media?
- How does what you post and comment, and how you speak online, reflect your faith, or not?
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17
“And Jesus said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” ” Mark 16:15
- How does social media help you connect with your non-Christian friends right now?
- What are meaningful ways in which you could use social media to build relationships or be missional?
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:22-25
- Do your digital media habits lead you towards God or away from him?
- What does a godly response look like for you?
- Is God convicting you of anything specific right now?
- Do you need to be tracking your screen time?
- Do you need to be setting app time limits?
- What other changes need to be made?
- What accountability is required to help you?
- Recommended apps: