Power to Change – Students (P2C-S) is committed to helping students take their next steps towards Jesus, in part by fostering environments that help people explore the connection between their studies and their spirituality. This scholarship is designed to encourage a healthy transition to post-secondary, both by offering funds and by facilitating connections to the faith communities on campus.
Multiple awards are available — there will be 17 winners, totalling up to $19,000 given as scholarships. The largest scholarship available is $3000 which is open to any applicant going to a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Ontario. Additionally there will be 16 $1000 scholarships. Ten of these will be awarded to students attending one of the following schools in which P2C-S has a ministry located on the campus:
- Brock University
- Carleton University
- McMaster University
- Ontario Tech University
- Queen’s University
- Ryerson University
- University of Guelph
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto: St. George campus
- University of Toronto: Scarborough campus
- University of Waterloo
- University of Windsor
- Western University
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- York University
This year, these scholarships are available to residents of Canada who will be attending a post-secondary institution in Ontario for the first time. A resident of Canada for the purposes of this scholarship is someone living in Canada during the time of application. Applicants must be planning to enter into their first year of an undergraduate program at a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Ontario in September 2021 and study full time through April 2022. Only complete applications will be considered. Children of employees at Power to Change (the parent organization of Power to Change – Students) are ineligible.
To apply, please follow the application instructions below. The application includes several short and long answer questions, plus a form to send to two people as references (a peer and a spiritual leader). We recommend completing the application in one sitting, although the form can be saved and finished later. In general an application takes 30 minutes to complete.
Applications will be evaluated in two categories: the applicant’s willingness to engage (1) in leadership and (2) in an exploration of the Christian faith, including how this faith relates to their future studies. References will be used to substantiate the applicants.
Applications open March 8, 2021. Applications will close at 11:59pm Eastern on May 16, 2021. P2C-S will be contacting all applicants to confirm enrollment plans at the end of May 2021. Winners will be notified June 2, 2021. However funds will be given in January 2022 to those who remain in enrolled their schooling full-time for the second semester. Funds will not be given directly to the student, but to their school to be used towards that student’s tuition.
Power to Change (the parent organization of Power to Change – Students) was founded in 1967 and is an organization helping students take their next steps towards Jesus. We operate from coast to coast in Canada — learn more about P2C-S or find different ways to get connected with Power to Change – Students.
- Do I have to be a Christian to win this scholarship?
- A: Power to Change – Students is committed to helping people take their next step towards Jesus but it is not necessary for applicants to self identify as a Christian to apply and win one of these scholarships. However, on the application you will be asked questions about how you are seeking to explore faith and your studies and preference will be given to those who show a willingness to explore the Christian faith.
- Do I have to be a resident of Ontario to win this scholarship?
- A: No. However, you must be a resident of Canada, and you must be attending a post-secondary institution in Ontario.
- Why is the scholarship only given to students attending a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Ontario?
- A: This is the first year of the scholarship and P2C-S plans to eventually expand the program to include all of Canada.
- What if I don’t know which school I’ll be attending?
- A: If you haven’t yet confirmed your plans, simply indicate the school you hope to go to. In the last week of May 2021, P2C-S will be contacting all applicants to confirm their plans for enrollment for fall 2021.
- What if I don’t have a spiritual leader reference?
- A: If you do not know a leader in a faith community, please leave us a note about your situation in your application. Preference will be given to applicants with two completed references.
- Do I have to join a P2C-S community if I win the scholarship?
- A: No, though we do hope that all applicants will continue to take their next steps towards Jesus in some form of Christian community. Current or future involvement with P2C-S specifically has nothing to do with the eligibility or the selection of scholarship winners.
- Why is P2C-S offering this scholarship?
- A: P2C-S is committed to helping students take their next steps towards Jesus. As students transition to post-secondary, P2C-S wants to encourage them in their studies and foster an environment that helps people explore faith and their academic pursuits. This scholarship is intended to be a part of that encouragement: the program offers practical help both by making funds available, and by creating connections to local faith communities.
Select the “Apply Now!” button below, and on the next screen, select “Create Account”. You will be prompted to enter your email address, your first and last name, and a password. Select “Continue” to create your account and gain access to the application portal.
When you have signed into the application portal, select the “2021 Ontario NEXT Steps Scholarship” link to start your application. Here are some of the questions you will be asked in the application:
- What have you been involved in where you have shown leadership or initiative? What did you do?
- How have you actively explored the Christian faith?
- As you enter post-secondary, how are you planning to explore the Christian faith further?
- What next steps are you planning on taking to connect or stay connected to a faith community as you enter post secondary education?
- As you look towards the future, how do you want to integrate the Christian faith and your anticipated field of study?
You can log out of the application portal (at the top right corner of the screen), and come back later to complete the application.
Sign into the portal by selecting the button below, then selecting “Log In” and using the email address and the password you created when you created an account. If you have forgotten your password, select “Forgot your password” and follow the prompts to reset your password.
When you have signed into the application portal, select the “2021 Ontario NEXT Steps Scholarship” link to start or continue your application.
Not interested in the scholarship, but still curious about connecting with Christian community in your postsecondary studies?