Message from the President
The current coronavirus crisis is changing the world in ways we have never previously experienced. The Wall Street Fear Index (the VIX) recently hit levels higher than during the 2008 financial crisis. But while those around us may be filled with anxiety and fear, we have the gift of peace — Jesus Christ.
The gospels tell of the disciples being caught in a storm on the Sea of Galilee. In their panic, Jesus simply told them, “Don’t be afraid, take courage. I am here!” After the resurrection, they were changed. Fear was replaced with boldness.
This is a time for us as believers to be bold with our faith in Jesus as we continue to love people and share His message of profound peace in the midst of this storm. God’s Word encourages us to be ready: don’t be deceived or surprised, don’t panic, be patient, and use these difficulties as an opportunity to witness.
Donna Mitchell, our VP of Ministries, shared a story with me from her recent flight home, on her way to self-isolate. She began to chat with the woman beside her. Donna asked, “Are you a praying person?” The woman’s instant reply was, “No, but do you want to pray right now?!”
The fear and uncertainty created by Covid-19 have opened the hearts and minds of many to hear the gospel! Circumstances may require us to isolate, but we are committed more than ever to replacing fear with boldness and reach people in creative ways to help them experience the love of Jesus
Our ministries are taking action and actively creating innovative strategies to reach the lost during this unprecedented global opportunity. Many people were already suffering from loneliness and isolation before this crisis, so developing different ways to connect digitally will be a primary focus. In the coming days and weeks, you will hear from some of our ministries regarding new podcasts, live streams, and other creative digital ministry experiences.
As many of our annual fundraising events have been cancelled, we trust that you will stand together with our ministries and staff, and continue to support us prayerfully and financially as we innovatively share the good news of Jesus Christ with our nation.
Here are some ways you can pray with us during this critical time:
- Pray for wisdom and creative direction in how we can best serve during this crisis.
- Pray for the good news of Jesus to shine brightly in the world.
- Pray for God’s continued care, provision, and protection, especially for those who are at a higher risk.
- Join the weekly prayer call with Global Aid Network
Please know we are grateful for your ongoing support and prayer at this time.
Historically, it has often been during moments of crisis that God’s people have united together to clearly demonstrate His love and peace. Join us in praying that in the midst of this storm, the Church will rise up with boldness and love so the world will know Jesus and experience His power to change our communities, cities, and nations.
Do you need prayer? We have staff and volunteers who are ready to pray with you. Contact them anytime through our free online resources.
Resources & Relevant Links
- April Message from Rod to Donors
- Tips on Working from Home and Virtual Meetings – Erik Butz, VP of Global Operations and Advancement with Cru Global, has been conducting virtual meetings for more than fifteen years. Erik gave me permission to share some helpful tips for those of us who find themselves working from home and living in a world of virtual meetings. I hope you will find them as useful as I have.
- Leading Through A Crisis video series from LeaderImpact
- Sign up to be an online missionary with P2C Digital Strategies to help people who come to our site looking for prayer and mentorship.
- Talk to a mentor or request prayer here. This may be helpful to you or those around you.
- A series of prayer guides – These prayer guides were written by P2C-Students to help you process with the Lord. Feel free to share them with friends and family to encourage them as well. The themes they have addressed are as follows:
- Anxiety: Jesus’ Face – Reflection and Prayer Guide
- Fear: Be Still, My Soul – Reflection and Prayer Guide
- Vulnerability/Shame/Identity: Resting in His Embrace – Reflection and Prayer Guide
- Grief/Sorrow/Anger: In the Night – Reflection and Prayer Guides